Why do you want to learn to make great cakes?
- An upcoming wedding (you've seen what a purchased wedding cake can cost)
- Did you agree to be a "classroom mother" and want to make special cakes for the holidays or specific units?
- Is there a baker in the family you're dying to out-do?
- Are you looking for the appeal offered by more traditional domestic skills?
- Are you hoping to enter a local or regional baking competition?
- Are you thinking of baking to earn some extra dough?
- Is your organization looking for new fundraising opportunities like an upper scale cake walk, perhaps?
These are only a few of the reasons that may have attracted you to this course. However, whatever your motives may be, here are the skills you can look forward to gaining in the following lessons:
- Equipment, utensils, tools and preparations
- The basics of cake-baking: decorating techniques, planning and designing your cake, lining your tines, and more
- Working with Marzipan, Icing, Glaze and Filling Choices
- Decorating your cake with butter cream icing
- Decorating your cake with royal icing
- How to make and use a piping bag
- Decorating with Sugar Flowers (and Other Gum Paste Creations)
- Making and Decorating Wedding Cakes
- Creating decorative children's cakes
- Holiday and celebration cakes
- Theme Cakes
- Beloved Cupcakes
- And More Cake and frosting recipes to express your creativity
With practice and patience, cake decorating can be learned. This exclusive course starts you out with the basics from designing your work space, cake baking, decorating tools, prepping a cake for decorating and many tips of the trade to help you create delectable cakes, icings and fillings. You'll learn the importance of texture and the temperament of icings, how to avoid cake catastrophes, ways to fix them and still keep your cake looking perfect.
Whether you're looking to start a cake decorating business or just make cakes for family and friends, Cake Decorating 101 will teach you all you need to know to turn out professionally decorated cakes. You'll develop techniques practiced by professional cake decorators such as applying buttercream icing, how to make a rose, level a cake, pour ganache and master a piping bag.
From breath taking designs to whimsy, all the latest cake decorating trends are disclosed, with instructions and ideas about how to bake and decorate the darlings of the cake world, finger licking cupcakes.
- Completely Online
- Printable Lessons
- Full HD Video
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
- Accredited CEUs
- Describe the tools and workspace needed to decorate a cake.
- Describe how to plan and design a cake.
- Summarize the best cake decorating recipes.
- Describe icing, glazing and filling techniques.
- Demonstrate decorating cakes with butter cream icing.
- Demonstrate decorating cakes with royal icing.
- Demonstrate creating cake decorations using a piping bag.
- Summarize methods used to decorate cakes with gum paste.
- Describe procedures involved in decorating wedding cakes, children's cakes, holiday and celebration cakes.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|An Introduction||5 points|
|Lesson 1 Assignment: Gathering Basic Supplies to begin Baking a Cake||100 points|
|Lesson 2 Assignment: Cake Decorating tools and Creating your Cake Decorating Workspace||5 points|
|Lesson 2 : Cake Decorating Tools and Work Space||9 points|
|Lesson 3 Assignment: Make Yourself Some Quick Reference Cards||5 points|
|Lesson 3 : Planning and Designing Your Cake||8 points|
|Lesson 4 Assignment: Try Baking and Decorating a Cake||25 points|
|Lesson 5 Assignment: Prepare a 2 Layer Box Cake||25 points|
|Lesson 5 : Planning and Designing||9 points|
|Lesson 6 Assignment: Practice Working with Fondant||25 points|
|Lesson 6 : Icing, Glaze and Filling Choices||9 points|
|Lesson 7 Assignment: Working with ButterCream Icing||25 points|
|Lesson 8 Assignment: Working with Royal Icing||25 points|
|Lesson 9 Assignment: Practicing Making a Pastry Bag||10 points|
|Lesson 9: The Scary Piping Bag||7 points|
|Lesson 10 Assignment: Working with Flowers||10 points|
|Lesson 11 Assignment: Practice Making Leafs||10 points|
|Lesson 11 : Fruits, Flowers, Fun and Fancy||9 points|
|Lesson 12 Assignment: Cake Decorating Expertise||10 points|
|Lesson 12 : Wedding Cakes||9 points|
|Lesson 13 Assignment: Making Children's Cakes||25 points|
|Lesson 14 Assignment: Decorating a Holiday Cake||25 points|
|Lesson 15 Assignment: Making Memories||25 points|
|Lesson 15 : Cool Theme Cakes||10 points|
|Lesson 16 Assignment: Make Some Cupcakes||25 points|
|Lesson 16 : Beloved Cupcakes||9 points|
|Lesson 17 Assignment: Ganache Decorations||25 points|
|New Things||100 points|
|Lesson 17 : Express Your Creativity||8 points|
|Final Assignment||100 points|